Bhuj Disaster Management AuthorityBhuj earthquake of 2001, 26th January is one of the deadly earthquakes that had struck India. Massive loss of life and property had happened due to this earthquake. Millions of families became homeless and major parts of the social infrastructure got destroyed e.g. health centers, schools, colleges, hospitals, offices, power supply, electricity etc.
Many villages and cities of Kutch district were completely destroyed. Immediately after Gujarat Earthquake, GSDMA or Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority was set up. It was a society that was set up and registered on 8th February 2001 as per the rules and regulations of Bombay Public Trust Act and Societies Registration Act.
About Disaster Management in BhujThe Disaster Management in Bhuj is a part of Gujarat Disaster Management Authority. The initial aim of establishing the Gujarat Disaster Management Authority was to carry out the huge rehabilitation and reconstruction tasks in Bhuj and other earthquake affected areas of the state. In the year 2003, Gujarat State Disaster Management Act was passed and GSDMA got dissolved and a statutory authority came into existence.
Disaster Management PlansAccording to the State Disaster Management Act of 2003, the state will prepare a SDMP or State Disaster Management Plan considering the susceptibility of the state to different types of hazards. A guideline was issued by the NDMA or National Disaster Management Authority for the preparation of SDMP. When 2001 earthquake occurred, there was only a relief manual available to the state government for relief measures for cyclones and floods only. After the formation of Disaster Management Authority for the State, complete disaster management plans for Tsunami and earthquakes are prepared. The roles and responsibilities to be performed by the stakeholders are mentioned in these plans. Copies of these plans are available to the stakeholders as well.
Disaster Risk ManagementDRM or Disaster Risk Management is one of the important initiatives taken by GSDMA so that stakeholders’ capacity can be strengthened to have an effective or better response during disasters. The program aims at reducing the various risks in the disaster prone areas of the state. The program is designed to organize awareness workshops, educational programs and environment buildings at various levels along with increasing the capacity of human resource involved at various stages of disaster management and recovery from a particular situation. Response to disasters, its preparedness and mitigation measures are strengthened at various stages of administration. At the district level, District Project Officers are appointed who directly work under the supervision of the District Collector of the respective district.
Highlights of DRM Program
- To create a plan for reduction of disaster risks and response to the disaster at all the administrative level e.g. District, Taluka, Municipality, and Village
- To set up disaster management committees or teams at various stages and have resources and training provided for them for more capacity
- To build the capacity of the stakeholders
- To update the state and national level database for better disaster preparedness and its management
- To make the disaster management plans part of the various plans of local government
Projects and Programs of Disaster Management AuthorityDisaster Management Authority has initiated different types of programs and some of them are already finished and some are still ongoing. Some of the projects are yet to start.
The already finished projects/programs are:
- Gujarat Emergency Earthquake Reconstruction Project
- Book preparation for increasing the capacity of architects
- To have guidelines for preventing any accidental trapping of children in bores
- The ongoing projects are-
- Training or certification programs for masons
- School safety programs
- Smruti Van establishment
- Safety in hospitals
- Training program for special flood rescue
- The future projects
- NCRMP or National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project
- Practical training provided at GIDM (Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management) for fire disasters
Important Contact NumbersGujarat State Disaster Management Authority
Block No.: 11,
Gandhinagar – 382011
Phone No.: 7923 259 283
Fax No.: 7923 259 302 / 7923 259 275
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Operation Center
State Control Room
Phone No.: 1070
District Emergency Operation Center
Phone No.: 1077
Administration in Bhuj | Bhuj Area Development Authority | Government Offices in Bhuj
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0